Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: help: Buying a guitar in Canada

help: Buying a guitar in Canada

Hi there, i hope some of you Canadian six(seven ) stringers is able to give me some guidance...

I'll be spending my summer holiday at my uncle's in Ottawa(I'm Serbian if anyone cares), and see it as a good chance to finally get a decent axe. I own a Maya - Les Paul alike, you probably never heard of it and there's a damn good reason Not like I expected much, it was almost free but still only guitar I could afford at the time.

I collected about $1000, but hey... I'm my uncle's favourite nephew , so I hope that'll raise...

I'd like to know if any of you have any expirience in buying an Ibanez in Ottawa or Toronto... or Montreal or Quebec . Does it pay off to mail order from the USA, or should i stick to local shops?!?

thanks...

Marko

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    I'd go to Steve's Music Store. (Stores in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa). They have A LOT of guitars and a great selection of Ibanez guitars. Don't get a cheap RG though, whatever you do. And the Artcore series feel like they are made of paper machee(sp?) and sound like it. (crap) Try out lots of guitars before you make a decision. Make sure to try out the Shecter line too. Very fine guitars. I would avoid ordering from the States... Add 15% tax plus 7% duty tax, border tariff charge/tax, shipping charges (not sure of these exact numbers, but in the end, you'll pay a lot of dough) etc... Not worth the trouble and money...Good luck!
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

lol...not to be a a**hole or anything but someone very soon will lock this thread. It's not personl but it's just that Ibreathemusic doesn't support gear related threads. They refer people to harmony central for that kind of thing. I'm suprised that Koala, Phantom, or Clive haven't locked it yet. You guys are slippin'...lol...jk.

But I guess I can try and help you with your question since it's still opened. I'm not from Canada (though where I live I'm a ston'es throw away from Toronto pretty much. 2 hours drive and I'm in Canada, I could swim over there but the great lakes are almost always cold). I definitely recommend an Ibanez 7-string. I would say mail-order may be the cheapest though, but then again you might still be paying as much in the end anyways. I say you just fill your car up with gas, drive to Detroit and visit the local guitar center and get ir from there...lol. It'll cost you alot less on shipping and handling...lol.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

I'm sorry if this is against the rule, but just make your own idea before you buy especially if you to steve music store.. Im from a town near montreal, and i can assure you that at steve music they will try to sell you anything so make your own idea and bargain.. in my opinion those guys dont care much about the people they only wanna make money, damn bastard, but they have a lot of stuff worth to check out. Make your idea and bargain, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by oRg
    lol...not to be a a**hole or anything but someone very soon will lock this thread. It's not personl but it's just that Ibreathemusic doesn't support gear related threads. They refer people to harmony central for that kind of thing. I'm suprised that Koala, Phantom, or Clive haven't locked it yet. You guys are slippin'...lol...jk.
    OK, sorry... harmony central can't help people in choosing WHERE to buy

thanks guys...

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Get an Ibanez RG Prestige 1527...seven strings, new tremolo two vintage humbuckers, not like normal RG's...really cool guitar...you can also customize it with the pups of your choice...if you PM me we can talk about that...since the Thread Reaper must be reaping somewhere near us...

David

Too bad you re not looking for an aoustic. Canada has some great luthiers. And then there is the locrian mode.............................................. ........
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    *Check our Live Videos Page!

Too bad that's not a priority

What about used gear??? newspaper ads, internet, pawn shops?!?

Steve's music store

Long & Macquade (very good store also)

Song Bird (Toronto and Ottawa) This store sells used guitars and sometimes you find some very nice deals, worth checking out for sure.

My advice is just to play the guitars that you are interested in for a while. You will find some sales guys are nicer than others, but the decision is yours, so just play the guitars and then make up your mind.

I would not buy mail order because you would end up paying a lot of extra money for duty and shipping. I bought a guitar for $250 US once and then had to pay an extra $80 CAN plus the shipping cost.