Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: The more you Know the less you know

Hybrid View

Trouser flapping power

Talking The more you Know the less you know

Has anyone ever heard of this theory....I love low down dirty music which is not to squeeaky clean but also like musos who genuinley try to better their technical ability.......It's so cool to see all your scales in the same mode but up perfectly together once you know them off by heart...However Try steping out side the od notes which at first appear wrong but if you play them in a certain way Sound Gritty and powerfull.....Can you know to much.?? I love to go back to the heart felt mentality of a begginer passionatley doing that cool bit you just Sussed out?????......So GUys THE MORE YOU KNOW THE LESS YOU KNOW?????True or false?......P.S. think how many Indie gut wrenching Dirt guitarists did it without any Theory....or were they just Pretending not to know.......Dave Groahl mentioned this in an underground radio interview......Pahhh Waht a waffler I am
    Last edited by whopwooper; 04-01-2005 at 11:12 AM.

I believe more in the phrase:

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

This holds very true for music theory. For me when I started out with scales and keys, I was afraid to play a "wrong" note. Now I can justify some of those in a theoretical way. With regards to music though, the ear is really the guide in the end. This is why ear training is essential to all musicians.

I've been thinking about that last bit too. Sometimes, the music just seems to well thought out not to be influenced by theory.

Trouser flapping power

Cool

Hey mate thanks for replying......I hope you have not been burning down any churches latley....Just jokeing...I've read a book recently called 'LORDS OF CHAOS``
    about the metal scene in Norway and how quite a few guys went to prison for murdering people and burning down churches...as I see your from Norway??
    Sorry I could not help to ask as I was quite shocked about this book. In the end everyone blamed it all on VENOM...the so call founders of black metal....Personaly I'm glad to here you like JAZZ...I love jazz too but am very open minded to different forms of music which to some folks is also a dangerous line......To much of one influence is even more Dangerous.........
    But hopefully other folks can comment on this To much Theory stuff???
    Einstein was also a Rebell but sussed it out how he wanted to...???

Another comment from Norway,
    Have you read the R Pirsig book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance"? Have some interesting views on appreciation of art with or without prior knowledge. Point is that you experience a great feeling when listening to something new and unexpected in music. If you never heard any music, you'll probably get a great experience by listening to Mary's little lamb. Now, we find that boring I guess. So when you have heard a lot of music, most of us will get bored by very simple things. So we go for something more difficult and unexpected in some other way. I guess thats why you have musicians musicians. Most people dont listen to that stuff. People very interested in music however find it challanging and exiting.
    I think that "the more you know, the more you understand that you don't know". It's like your knowledge is a cicle, and what you don't know is the outside of the circle. You are aware of what you don't know by the outer limits of the cicle. When your know something more, the circle increases, but so does the outher limit of the circle.
    In my opinion knowledge is great. It may change your playing, and turn you into jazz :-) or Dixie Dregs type of music, but that is not bad. However, playing is the real thing - groove, phrasing, improv etc is what you should spend most time developing.
    G (no, I'm not burning churches)
    Last edited by gersdal; 04-01-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Trouser flapping power
    wise comments......Don't woory I'm not all relegious actualy Not at all...If music were a relegion then maybee.....but thank F--c It's not...some how though it is quite a brutal as well as feather soft task to try to improve yourself...or otherwise known as Talent....But those comments about the Circle, are quite intriuging....I did once read Zen and the Art of Motror cycle M--
    but was so long ago I can hardly remember the jist of it???....The ending was really cool sitting in his chair with the cigaret burning his finger after a mega kind of reality trip ..which is what life is...in reality...There is no one there to say whats right or wrong...we really are alone when it comes to the Better judgment of Taste...which we still have to decide what we know and how to/or not to use it.????..Common sense is usually the best way but I also love Niave Stupid unexpected decissions also...they do somtimes pay off to all the cynics.

I'm still paying off my clinic...

Oh you said cynic. Sorry.

I have a saying by which I live my life before 11.30am every day.

"We are all just strings vibrating over the humbucker of life, picked by the random plectrum held by the hand of fate"

The question we have to answer is: What's the frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by whopwooper
    I hope you have not been burning down any churches latley....Just jokeing...I've read a book recently called 'LORDS OF CHAOS``
    about the metal scene in Norway and how quite a few guys went to prison for murdering people and burning down churches...as I see your from Norway??
    Sorry I could not help to ask as I was quite shocked about this book. In the end everyone blamed it all on VENOM...the so call founders of black metal....Personaly I'm glad to here you like JAZZ...I love jazz too but am very open minded to different forms of music which to some folks is also a dangerous line......To much of one influence is even more Dangerous.........
    Well, I'm not only into jazz. I play bass in a mean death metal quartet and I went to this metal festival during easter. But yeah, those church burners were a couple o' lunatics. If you actually know the black metal milleu, you'd figure out that there's much more irony and humour up and about that what you'd think. Just guys who tried to be seriously evil.

......UKRuss Centre for Stuff That FEELS You Better.....
    That's illegal here in the 'states ! Damn shame too, I hear there's good money in it.....
    ....Running a buisness like that, you'll be "paying off your clinic" constantly -

On a philosophical note:
    - One of my favorite sayings = "Where wisdom is not a blessing, knowledge is a curse"
    That's a bit extreme for musical applications but, I sometimes wish I could turn off the flow of knowledge until I was ready to understand and apply it.

....gee, that makes me sound rather wise and intuitive........APRIL FOOLS !

Trouser flapping power

Wink

wow I'm surprized how much feed back I have from this forum...Thanks guys for getting stuck in to such a triky theme............The clever folks could come along and say you know nothing ...But who are they to say???...I love some of thease ideas posted today for a them I talked about to thease geezers in a band in our local which really put the cat amongst the pidgeons as in this morning when I posted it.........I Think I was refering to the little swat type of fela who genuinley does try ....perhaps a little to hard??? Knows all the chords
    Knows all the Scales....has become a 5 alive INput- Input-input monster.......Sadly in reality ....lets say the fella studied all his life.........What the F _ _ _is all that theory without discresion a pinch of passion and lets face it ...sheer enjoyment of the whole thing_MAKING MUSIC???.....Input is a great thing but use it with feeling