Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Sing Over Riff Excercises

Sing Over Riff Excercises

Hi IBreathe brothers!

As I mostly play rythm guitar I'm usually singing or comping for someone while I torture my instrument. I think most of you who ever tried to be a band for yourself know that singing over riffy stuff may become a challenge without a practice. The guitar part can distract you from hearing your own voice and interfere with your singing. Keeping both rythms (vocal & guitar) accurately is an issue you have to solve during your short mind-split.

I propose that we go and share some tricky excercises here to train our ability to be polyphonic creatures and expand our multithread inner feel for music.

My first choice is the simpliest riff by Nirvana - Come As You Are main theme. Someone might dislike it but I've been ruled by simplicity and popularity because my staff notation is awful and I hope you remember this song.

This first excercise is intended for beginners cos I'm beginner myself and had similar problems not so long ago.

Try to play and sing it. I'm planning to post another examples that are devoted to singing over riffs. If you have your own ideas please join me.

Tips on how to make your way through the excercise:

1. Learn the guitar part so well you can think of the football winter transfers and play the riff automatically. Other topics to think of follow below:

* girls (hey you stopped playing man!)
    * girls
    * girls

If you still manage to succeed in playing the riff you are hero!

2. Sing the song without your guitar. Listening to CD would be ideal for getting tuned. Sing out loud along with vocals.

3. Take your guitar and start playing very gently muting the strings a bit just to grasp the rythm and start to sing over. Dwell upon your singing here. Don't let your guitar get you off your singing.

4. Repeat steps 1 & 2 if you feel you're not ready.

5. Let your guitar ring louder and sing. At this point you must be singing and playing subconsciously. Louder, louder.... yeah

Excercise #1:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zatz; 01-08-2003 at 12:34 PM.

Good idea

Come as you are ... The first thing I learned
    I still can't play&sing it right 5 years later ...
    I gotta try seriously

Let's go on...

Hi I'm back to my own thread again!

Here's another example to try. This is more complex but the song is worth learning it cos it has gotten hold of millions of hearts forever So I have tabbed "People Are Strange" by Doors as I play it. Sorry for notation again. My third staffed piece of music in my life y'know...

Sing along with your playing!

Excercise #2:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zatz; 01-07-2003 at 10:08 PM.