what a fun project. i bought some 3/4 " copper pipe and a pipe cutter, used an online tuning calculator, and made a set of wind chimes. thing is, i think i might be getting too much dissonance for a set of chimes (which should sound relaxing, basically--although i am trying to add a few notes of definite mysteriousness. trying to create a more exotic scale). maybe i could get some advice here?

i'm not yet sure where the dissonance is coming from--i need to do more testing. but here are the intervals i used.

1, 2, 3, #4, 5, b7, 8, 9, #9

(forgive my mixing of sharps and flats. this is how i like to think of the scale.)

so as you can imagine from this, my primary impulse was to create a set of lydian chimes. i had some pipe left over after the fifth and started playing with these other intervals. questions:

1. i thought that since that sharp 9 is in a higher octave, it wouldnt conflict too much with the natural third in the lower octave. and it's not, near as i can tell. the sharp nine may, however, be in conflict with another interval, which i cant remember right now. any ideas?

2. i think the flat 7 is in conflict with something, too.

3. my fifth might be a bit out of tune. i seem to remember the fifth conflicting with one of the higher notes. but obviously, it shouldnt conflict with the flat 7 or the sharp nine...

i dunno. is this a bad choice for a scale? did i do something stupid? a number of options are open to me right now. what happens if i replace the lower major 3rd with a minor third that matches the sharp nine up above? (i think i might lose the lydian feel. what scale is:

1, 2, b3, #4, 5, b7, 8, 9, #9?

but here's another, maybe more serious question:

is the dissonance i'm hearing coming from too many notes that are a major second apart? cause with wind chimes, notes of the scale often sound together, of course. so i mean, if i remove that 2 there, i wont have to hear 2 and 3 sounding together, or the 1 and 2. so maybe i should *remove* some notes from this scale. what do you guys think?