Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: A funny thing I've discovered (i.e. possible breakthrough in sweeping)

A funny thing I've discovered (i.e. possible breakthrough in sweeping)

Today while I was working up Hangar 18 (I'm a metalhead at heart so there you have it Megadeth rocks!!! ) I noticed that when it comes to sweeps I sweep down but when it comes to sweeping up I kinda hammer on the notes to the chord one by one without really striking them, so for my picking hand it feels almost as A.P. but I still get the legatto sound kinda like sweeping, and you do hear the "sweep" when I go down. This seems to come naturally to me. I've always been a sucky sweeper (I can't even sweep the kitchen) so I guess my hands kinda try to find short cuts on this... soundwise I can't tell the difference and I actually sound cleaner hammering on the notes. I figure I'd share this and see if anyone else kinda works the same way.

I hope this is useful (at least to some)

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

That sounds similar to something Eric V mentioned about Brett Garsed. Instead of pulling off, he's just hammering on all of the time... anyway, I also have noticed that there is more legato in my playing than I realize.

I have something in common with Bred Garsett!!!! Maybe shoe size? lol J/K That's awesome though, I guess good things can come from one's unability or lack of skill in certain areas.

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottenking2
    Today while I was working up Hangar 18 (I'm a metalhead at heart so there you have it Megadeth rocks!!! ) I noticed that when it comes to sweeps I sweep down but when it comes to sweeping up I kinda hammer on the notes to the chord one by one without really striking them, so for my picking hand it feels almost as A.P. but I still get the legatto sound kinda like sweeping, and you do hear the "sweep" when I go down. This seems to come naturally to me. I've always been a sucky sweeper (I can't even sweep the kitchen) so I guess my hands kinda try to find short cuts on this... soundwise I can't tell the difference and I actually sound cleaner hammering on the notes. I figure I'd share this and see if anyone else kinda works the same way.

I hope this is useful (at least to some)

Regards,
    Sorry, not as new as you may be thinking...That's the way Richie Kotzen does it all the time...he sweeps his way up...and hammer on's his way down...he explains it on every video he has madie till now...it souds really smooth when you do it that way...

David

Shawn Lane used to do something like that too, as far as I remember
    =)
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricV
    Shawn Lane used to do something like that too, as far as I remember
    =)
    Eric
    Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. He would hammer-on and also pick with his thumb so very little of the sweep was actually picking. Its kind of hard to see him do it live becuz he was so damn fast.
    v2sw3CUhw6ln3pr6OFck3ma9u6Lw3Xm6l6Ui2Ne5t5TSFDAb8T DOen7g6RZATHCMHPa21s6MSr53Dp3hackerkey

Well it's at least good to know I'm not doing anything wrong (always looking at the bright side ) .

I never thought it was that strange, I do that too, though I do sweep upwards when I want a slightly different sound.