Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Roles of band members?

Hybrid View

Roles of band members?

Have you ever been 'the new guy' entering a band?
    It's particularly hard when the other members have already "marked their territory" and you used to be the one in your previous projects to make all the decisions or the best jokes - and that particular position is already taken. The fear of non-matching chemistries and being the least talented in your ensemble.

Well, I sing. I'm reasonably good at it, if I say so myself. But by gawd, have I been training to reach that level! And only because of wanting to - well - "beat the boys", if you will. The vocalist is always the diva, the one who doesn't do anything but look good, right?

Am I the only one eternally struggling with these insecurities?
    "I may change my opinion - but I'm always right."

Hmmm... strange brew in yer head there missy. I wouldn't worry about it too much, a strong female front person with a good voice is rare. Egomaniacal musicians are a dime a dozen.
    They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Lightbulb

Well... I have such a situation.

A couple of months ago I've been invited to be a sampler in the new-metal band. They had 4 kinda complete songs and it was hard for me to make up my parts. Then we wrote 5th song together, and i got closer to these guys, now it's better.

In the end of May we perform in nearby town. It'll be their second performance, but first with sampler.

mmm... I don't feel myself like "less talented" of the guys: no one of them plays keyboards, I play guitar as good as most of them, I sing maybe better than vocalist (but i can't scream yet, which is essential for this band). Well, evern if i play with someone who's better than me, it's a great possibility to learn something from him...

How long you're in the band? I think these things will pass away soon.
    Freelove, Booze, Indie Rock :-)

Things are good.

I've been in my current band for six months now, and it's getting better - of course. I still feel I have to somehow be just as good as them, though. Or even better. But I suppose it's just me, then.

Glad to hear it's normal for others too.

Sadly, there seems to always be a certain element of competition between muscians in the same band. Some degree of competition is good I guess, but it can overshadow the community which one is supposed to feel in a band.

As you already feel, I'm sure things will get better when you've gauged the other bandmembers and connected with them in a musical way.

Certainly.

It's not so much about me competing against them, but competing against myself in order to fulfil their standards, and to make the best possible music together.

We've clicked pretty well, I'd say, but since everyone else actually plays an instrument, it's very hard to compare us. I do make the vocals and the lyrics, so there's plenty of responsibility there as well.
    Last edited by Heetteri; 05-06-2005 at 06:51 PM.