Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Dream theatre Live DVD

Dream theatre Live DVD

Well I have never been much of a dream theater fan but I borrowed the live in budokan dvd yesterday from some one. OMG is this band nuts. Not really my normal style of music but this band is nuts.

Havent been this impressed since maiden's rock in rio.

Any other live shows you guys would suggest that would be something new and impressive to watch.

"Steve Vai: Live at the Astoria London" is amazing too...

I got that Dream Theater video too and I must have watched it 5 times. I agree it's amazing

Oh, thats' cool to hear!

I bought the CD the other day and it is outrageous, the drumming is other worldy, haven't heard drumming that blew me away like that since I first saw Alex Van Halen like 20 years ago.

I will buy the DVD today!

...having said that, and I don't want to bad mouth the guy cos he is an awesome player no doubt, but I find JP's Rock Discipline DVD a total waste of time. Sorry, but there is little of value in the whole thing. I mean he kicks off with maybe a quarter of the dvd being warm up chromatics and questionable stretches. Then we are led through a string of chromatic stuff before we get some very very basic arpeggio related exercise, whcih is certainly nothing new, and then maybe five minutes of scale fragments. That is the only part of the DVD which provides interest and yet it is not only over so quickly but all he does is later, take the piss, by showing you how fast he can do it rather than talking you through properly.

I bit disappointed, but he does make up for it with the Live at Budokan playing!

Just an off topic thing about venues:

Anyone notice how when ever anyone plays live at the budokan it sounds great? I must go there one day.

By stark contrast Steve Vai is possibly the only person in the world who could make me go to the Astoria which is a total ****hole, an embarassment to London and should be knocked down.

It's a shame cos back in the day it was well run and I saw a host of awesome bands back in the 80s and across the road at the Dominion, were the Queen musical is being played now.
    Last edited by UKRuss; 05-19-2005 at 07:29 AM.

i got live at budokan dvd, bloody lubbed it. they have been my favourite band for a while and omg how awesome is the solo in hollow years:>..so emotional:>
    \m/ chunk chunk chunk \m/

dvd

The extra features disc is awesome too

That like 10 minute drum solo is nuts.

Also anyone notice that really short little clip of john in a guitar shop playing that guitar with the lights on the fretboard, some guy hears him playing and is like is that dream theatre and he responds with yes, it was. And the guy just walks away.

Ukruss,

I was also a bit disapointed with the rock discipline video (I got the VHS format one in '99 ) but I decided to work with it anyways. While the actual excercises he shows you are pretty lame, you can use the concepts from them to work out your own exercises.

Once I got over the initial disapointment in it and decided to dig for something to justify the money I had spent on it (which considering back then I didn't have a job and was fixing to start med school it was A LOT) I actually found a couple of cool things there. The stretching part IMO was the most useful section in that whole video, I use those sets of stretches today and they have improved my reach on the fretboard.

No cool licks like in the PG videos and the chord and theoretical insight sections ARE rather basic, but the technical concepts can be exported and applied to one's style, if you already are technically proficient... then there's little use you can get out of that video.

The Live at Budokan DVD is plain awesome. Definitely worth the extra (buck!!! At best buy anyway) A great asortment of DT newer stuff. I think Jordan Rudess totally steals the show, that guy is insane and his playing is unbelievable.

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. In short give Rock Discipline another shot and DEFINITELY get the Live at Budokan DVD.

Regards,
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    If you want to watch a great DVD from a greater gig, be sure to check Angra's Rebith Tour DVD...that's really, really amazing...they play the whole Rebirth CD in the concert, plus some Angra classics...in case you haven't heard of them, just buy it blindolded...if you're into metal, you'll love them...

Another DVD that i like is a pretty rare one...it's the Royal Hunt Concert in Japan...with vocalist DC Cooper...great show, too....there's also the Yngwie Malmsteen show at Budokan...also a great shot...

David

If you are interested in seeing more Dream Theater DVDs, check out:

"Images & Words Live" ( I think that is the name of it, I have it on video somewhere ). From a tour in the early 90s. Great stuff there, and a very tasteful guitar solo by JP in "To Live Forever"

"Live Scenes From New York" They play the whole "Scenes From A Memory" ( a concept album, and my second favorite DT album, No.1 being I&W ), and they do it well. I saw several shows from that tour, and it was awesome. Also, I have watched this DVD with the audio commentary by the band, and itīs even more interesting then... and very funny
    Eric

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    I think the DVD's great except for one thing.....Labrie!! He's so full of himself, but it's good he doesn't sing too much. They should get rid of him and replace him with Ozzy. He'd be tripping out on all the lights and time changes, and it'd add some comedy to the set. Rock Discipline...I thought the fretboard stretching exercises,inside picking, warm-ups, alternate picking, coordination, legato, and double picking triple picking etc stuff was all good. You just have to HAVE the 'rock discipline' in order to benefit IN the rock discipline, if you catch my drift. That is, if you can get past being bored out of your skull.....
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

Jorge, cheers. I think you're prolly right about the rock discipline dvd, same as CG mentions....I guess it's just going to be difficult for me to get past the "bored out of skull" LOL!

Perhaps it's just something about the chromatics! Arrrrggghhh!.

Bottom line: I should adapt the exercises given to make the interesting for me, yes you are right there. If it makes me play a bit mroe like JP then I've got to be pleased with that! I'm still not sure I subscribe to the stretches purely from "where's JP's medical qualifications" point of view. but then you have some med quals so if they're OK for you, they should be OK for all.

But I'm definitely off to buy the DT dvd today!

David, I love a good recommendation....i just get a bit jittery with metal I don't know. Been burnt before. Angra, hey? OK, I'll give it a shot!

fan of the G string curiousgeorge's Avatar
    I don't do any of those stretches without the guitar. I just noodle and play trills till I'm sufficiently(sp?) warmed up for jaw dropping, ripping, mind altering solos! Also, I just got Ted Greenes Chord Chemistry. He's got some stretches in some of those chords that are just impossible!
    Karma Chameleon...You come and go...You come and go, oh..........MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!

I think the main thing is just like in martial arts, don't go for the spliss on day one or you'll tear your harmstring, right? Don't push it (I think he kinda implies that you should... wait that was in wild stringdom... anyway, you SHOULD NOT) Take it very easily and just 'cause the guy can put one fret inbetween each finger in position one you shouldn't try to do it all in one day (just like just 'cause Van Damme can go from standing to full spliss it doesn't mean you should try that on a wet tile floor ) . Work your way little by little and you'll see results, take it easy though. (Try going through the circle of 4ths doing V I progressions using add 9 bar shapes <actually it would sound minor and then you'd get... a I VI progression> it will stretch your hands in a more musical way that JP's). Eventually like I said before it did improve my reach on the fretboard, and it made those (painful!!!) minor 11 bar chords a little bit more manageable.

I think the main thing is getting over the kinda boring format (it doesn't help that JP uses the same voice tone throughout the entire video!!) and really listen to what the guy is saying, he does have some awesome advice. He also helped me understand chords better and got me to study chord structure and harmony more in depth (he just gives you a little bit, and leaves you wanting more).
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

I am not very nice DemonSorcerer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    David, I love a good recommendation....i just get a bit jittery with metal I don't know. Been burnt before. Angra, hey? OK, I'll give it a shot!
    Angra's just a lil' bit different...different rythms, i guess...they're influenced by their own country's music...so you'll find tons of drums and unusual sounding rhythm patterns and stuff... Jungle Metal...check out Nothing To say...and the extras...they have a great song called Hunters and prey...it depicts...some sort of crazy story about natives hunting and stuff... pretty nice rythmic playing and melodies...btw, they're from Brazil.

David

Cool tips Jorge, I've never been very good at trying these things out for myself.

Sometimes i stare at my guitar and think come on think of somethign different based on what you already know, and I really struggle!

Like the JP DVD, I take it all at face value and can't read between the lines!!!

David, Brazilian rock? Cool, I'l hunt that down, I like something a bit different!