Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Steve Morse / Deep Purple

Steve Morse / Deep Purple

Just back from a concert with Deep Purple with Steve Morse on guitar, and it was awesome. Don't think Blackmore expected his fastest licks were playable without legato. And he even makes it look like it's easy stuff...
    Hope the rining noie in my ears will be off by tomorrow morning

Niiiiice. I caught them last year here in London, I agree awesome playing by the Morsemeister.

But what about Paice's drumming at that age eh? Scary stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by UKRuss
    Niiiiice. I caught them last year here in London, I agree awesome playing by the Morsemeister.
    But what about Paice's drumming at that age eh? Scary stuff!
    Paice's drumming is better than I remember from some live albums from the 70'ties. I figured out he'll be around 60 by now. Hope I'm as fit and steady still

I saw them last August in Houston, TX with Satch. And yeah Steve Morse is amazing... but the one that impressed me the most was the singer... he's an old guy and can still hit ALL of those high notes!! OMG I when I grow up I wanna be like that
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

Ian Gillan, yep he can still rock but just to show he's still human,,,he doesnt' do "Child in Time" anymore LOL..now that would hve been hitting high notes.

Actually, Gillan had his own band in the 80s called, errr. Gillan. with a pretty good guitarist in the band called Bernie Torme, i think. Wonder what happened to him.

I've seen Steve play along while Ian's belting out those high notes and it's sometimes tough to tell where the human voice leaves off and the guitar's voice kicks in. Very impressive, nonetheless. Hoping to catch DP in Atlantic City in about 2 weeks!
    Janice

Deep Purple is, to me, the greatest rock band. Even though I think Blackmore was better in Rainbow, DP's impact on rock music was more significant. I saw them in 1985 on their "Perfect Strangers" reunion tour, when Ian Gillan still did sing "Child in Time". I wish THAT show would come out on DVD! As for Steve Morse, he is an absolutely amazing guitarist, but I don't think he really fits in Deep Purple. He has all the chops in the world, but he is missing the attitude and magic that Blackmore brought to the band.
    An article I read years ago said that Deep Purple was Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Jon Lord (keyboard), and Ian Paice (drums). Whether the singer was Ian Gillan or David Coverdale, and the bassist Roger Glover or Glenn Hughes, the band was still Deep Purple, so long as the Big 3 stayed intact. Take one of them away, and it really isn't Purple anymore. I seldom ever agree with music critics, but whoever wrote this was absolutely right. I am sure many visiting this site will disagree with me, and that is fine. I just had to throw my 2 cents into this discussion.

I'd have to go even further than that and say for me, the real DP is not the real DP unless the line up is: Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Paice, Lord.

No Coverdale! No Hughes!
    Coverdale will always be Whitesnake for me, and I don't mean the poncey hair nonsense he did in the 80/90s.

I'd have to go even further than that and say for me, the real DP is not the real DP unless the line up is: Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Paice, Lord.
    I agree, but it is easier to replace the guy's playing instruments than the singer. New singer, new sound of the band in my opinion. Morse is doing a good job, but he sounds different (american). It was fun seeing them, though.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Agreed!!!! This is the line-up I saw 'way back when' in '86 at Knebworth House when they had the biggest travelling Laser Light show in the world!!
    It's also the time I managed to FLY in with Gillan in his personal Helicopter!!!! <this smilies grin is not big enough to represent the one that was on my face that day!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattblack850
    It's also the time I managed to FLY in with Gillan in his personal Helicopter!!!! <this smilies grin is not big enough to represent the one that was on my face that day!!!!!!!
    ****. That's impressing. You used to be a helicopter mechanic or something.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    ****. That's impressing. You used to be a helicopter mechanic or something.
    No, I used to 'know' his niece!!

No, I used to 'know' his niece!!
    Well, that sounds even better

Agreed!!!! This is the line-up I saw 'way back when' in '86 at Knebworth House when they had the biggest travelling Laser Light show in the world!!
    Wow! That is one experience!