Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Prom song with interesting bassline?

Question Prom song with interesting bassline?

Hey

I requested a freedom song on this forum before, and i got some really good responses, so here's another request.

We're playing 5 or 6 songs for a high school prom, and we've picked most of the songs. Most of the basslines so far, however, are insanely boring, and our bassplayer would really want to have something challenging, even if it's just one song.

So, if anyone knows a song that could be suitable for prom, and has an interesting bassline ( not 5--5--5--5--5--5--5 into all eternity or lines that are so slow he could play em with his foot) please tell me.

Modally Challenged!!!! mattblack850's Avatar
    At the bottom of another Bottle of Brown Ale.
    Don't forget about the option of doing songs that you already know and then changing or re-writing the original bassline, which you can all do together and learn from!!

A couple of suggestions:-

Robert Palmers ~ Addicted to Love
    The Mavericks ~ Dance the Night Away

What sort of style music are you going to be playing??
    Perhaps if we knew that first, then we can make more appropriate suggestions!!

Jackson's "Beat it" and "Billy Jean" is pretty entertaining for the bass player and fits on lots of occations. Little old maybe...

Basslines in 'popular' music are always pretty boring it seems. Unless your into prog or jazz or something, they are always pretty boring, thats why we take up guitar!

Seriously though, for that reason I vote with whoever said change the lines up. Iron Maiden does this alot and I love it. Steve Harris will be playing a pretty simple bass line that goes along with the galloping the guitars are doing, but he will throw in an awesome fill, even if it's just a slide or two it will sound really great and interesting.

As far as the micheal jackson goes, smooth criminal would be my choice, especially cause it was remade not too long ago and proved to be fairly popular.

oh, how about some rush? Nobody ever accused Geddy Lee of being boring

Closer to the heart or fly by night, limelight etc... they have alot of good ones. I'm not up on popular music these days, even though I'm 21 so I can't really give any good suggestions for what highschoolers (especially overseas) might like to hear but if I think of some others I'll let you know. What I DO know is that 'time of your life' by green day is like the all time prom anthem, and playing it will make the ladies go nuts .

"When I come around" is a fun song to play by green day, and of course, I'm almost positive you could pull out some Red Hot Chili Peppers. Nobody ever accused Flea of being boring either, and they have been really popular again as of late, at least here in the US. I think either would work quite well, and people would actually recognize it too.

Franz Ferdinand sounds like they have some interesting stuff going on, and people would probably like dancing to that as well.
    Last edited by LarryJ; 05-26-2005 at 06:52 PM.