Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Misty Chord Melody

Misty Chord Melody

Hello there master jazzers out there. I'm writting from my humble rock seat with a question about a chord melody. I am currently working on an arrangement for Misty right? And I came up with this (powertab attached). Now is that too simple of an arrangement? Should I add more stuff to it? Or would it be too busy? I don't have a recording of someone actually playing it so I got that out of the real book's chart and arranged it myself (as an assignment)... I guess my question is, if you were my teacher, would I get a good grade? If not why? And what do you sugest I do to improve this arrangement?

Any sugestions and input (both possitive and negative as long as it's constructive) welcome.

Thanks a lot guys.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"

There is nothing wrong with being sparse...especially on ballads. You can always improvise extra parts later once you are comfortable with the progression, melody and what you have already written.

The time you don't play is usually more important then when you do, again this is amplified on ballads.

hi jorge,

Im not really a "jazz-perienced" player, but I do love chord melodies and the one you arranged.
    one funny thing is that there is a chordmelody workshop in this months issue of "gitarre & bass" using "misty", too.
    "Truth is the invention of a liar." - von Foerster

Generally I liked it. I think it's a little sparse in part II. Using chords for the long melody lines there would possibly be a good thing. I've added a little in the first line to give you an idea of my preference (I've played Howard Morgen's arrangement of Misty, it's probably quite inspired by his arrangement).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input and Gersdal I knew there was something wrong on the second part!! I'll get to work on it, I liked the chords falling on the quarter note tripplets. I'll rearrange that and see how it comes out. Thanks a lot for the sugestions. If anyone else wants to add more to this or take this thread somewhere by rearranging melody yourselves (I promise I won't copy it My assignment is due Monday anyway so I'll just stick to my arrangement with whatever corrections and retouches I can throw during the weekend).

That'd be an idea... strickly chord melody
    "If God had wanted us to play the piano he would've given us 88 fingers"