Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: ear training aids, again

ear training aids, again

if my goal is to one day soon be able to listen to common rock songs and hear most of the intervals of the melody and in the chord root movement, would it serve me to build the following kind of ear training cd?

to make a cd aid, i dont know what else to do, really, except to start on a root--like c--and then for every interval, hit the root followed by the interval, and maybe then hit them together, too. for minor second, then, id hit c followed by c sharp. but i'd also hit c followed by the b right below it. major seconds would be c-d and then c-b flat.

my question is, do you think this would be enough to get me to where i can pick these things out in songs all the time? because when you listen to songs, youre not always judging the distance from a single tonal center. that keeps changing with the chords! its not always going to be 'from c to b' or whatever. and, im just asking--those of you who are really good at this, what do you tell someone like me, who always hears minor thirds no matter where they appear in songs, but has to sometimes work on pinpointing what the other intervals are?

i want to know if this simple-minded ear-training disc i want to make is all i'll need. if minor thirds jump out at me, maybe i can just use this kind of disc to really get familiar with the other intervals. i hope so. dont want to spend too much time making training discs.
    "All bad poetry is sincere" -- Oscar Wilde

Steve Vai gives some good advices for ear-training in an article series. I gave the links to the articles in:
    http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...69&postcount=8

IMHO, you can spend all the money you want on training programs but I believe that you already have the tools you need. An instrument, a voice and time. A training tool is only good if you do the excersises. In fact, the same could be said about just training your ear with out the CD. Ultimately you need excercises. There are so many things you could do:

Sing from 1-5 and back down to 1 in every key starting real low and ending real high. This could be done in one series as a major key and in another series as minor key.

Work on writing down the harmonies to melodies that you already know and try to sing or play them with the original melody.

Strum a progression using chords without the third, (Power chords will work for this) and try to sing the third. sometimes the third will be major and sometimes it will be minor.

I am sure we can get many suggestions on ear training.

Of course on the otherhand, if the training course is relatavely cheap or you have lots of cash, then just buy it

Quote Originally Posted by Los Boleros
    Of course on the otherhand, if the training course is relatavely cheap or you have lots of cash, then just buy it
    Steve Vai's suggestion is making a tape / CD yourself. He's just giving some advices. You don't have to be ...

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    You don't have to be ...
    I wasn't responding to your post at all.

Back to your original question 40mile, Yes, making the tapes, CD's is a good idea since it makes good use of your driving time. But it's not necessary if you have an instrument on hand.