Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: general listening analysis for the strickly pentatonic thread

general listening analysis for the strickly pentatonic thread

the purpose of this thread is to listen to the entries presented in the strickly pentatonic thread, to discuss general preferences and ideally to analyze WHY certain entries are preferences to the majority.

hello fellow musicians,

the other day I was listening to all the entries in the strickly pentatonic thread.(I really listened, didn't allow distractions and focused on each entry)

I was pleasantly surprised many of them I liked,

I liked some more than others, but still I liked something about nearly all of them

but of course that got me thinking, what is it about certain entries that distinguish them above others?

for instance what is it about UKRuss entries that have so many musicians praising his entries?

Without a doubt many musicians in the IBreatheMusic community have a great respect for UKRuss(myself included) but even if you listen to the entries without knowing who they are, UKRuss's entry is one of the ones that stands out.

So why is that the case?

I'd like to find out.

What can we learn from his example? and other examples that people think are good.

Is it because UKRuss is an experienced musician?

well that certainly is important, but as you will notice with my preferences certain musicians I chose, were not that experienced with the instrument

so I decided to listen to each entry without knowing who did it

I chose to ignore rather the note choice was strickly pentatonic
    (I have already discussed my preference about that subject in this thread and after having listened to all the entries, I am resolute in my stated opinion- http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8623

I tried not to be influenced by the tone of the guitar,
    the great majority of guitar tones on the recordings I enjoyed, though there was one or two that I did not enjoy listening to because of the choice to record that certain tone on the instrument.
    Irregardless that did not influence my preferences.

my preferences cover a Wide range of experience.
    and just by listening you can tell who is a more experienced musician, but that wasn't the only reason I picked some of these entries, and some it was obvious even though they weren't experienced musicians they still were tasteful when improvising IMHO.

then after listening to all of them I separated the ones I really liked and decided to give a short comment on why I liked them

So in no particular order here are my preferences: (many of these were great, it gave me many great ideas)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. 12 Bar Cat Poster Nutbag in E.mp3

lots of bending on this one but he lands on chordtones so it resolves

creates a theme, with some variations and repeats it.

some highlights
    listen to 0:15-1:06

some use of 6ths

some use of swing rhythm

2. buebopentatonic80.mp3

starts out strong, like some notes he chooses to hold with vibrato

some highlights
    listen to whole mp3 but particularly 00:00-0:26, 00:34-1:22

also I may be mistaken at times it almost sounded like he changed pickups for different tones or played near the bridge then altered by playing by the neck pickup(if he didn't change pickups), even though I tried not to be influenced by the tone I thought it was a cool sound or idea

like use of open strings to bends

3. curiousjam.mp3

doublestops bends

listen to whole mp3 really like the 0:25-0:45 with overbends, but there are other parts I really enjoyed as well, fast licks at end are great, well done

I like how he uses 6th's, open strings, and I even heard some SRV type licks.

4. E 12 bar Pent Blues.mp3

like how he bends to the notes, and what notes he chooses to end on

pauses during phrases and uses occasional overbends

also he uses 6ths to contribute to the the I to IV change

thought I heard pinch harmonics

some highlights
    listen to all of mp3 0:00-0:30, 0:54-1:45

5. E 12 bar Russ gtr.mp3
    great double string bends, and ends phrases with chordtones

theme and variation with doublestops

some highlights
    listen to all of mp3, 0:00-01:25,

favorite part doublestops at 0:30-0:38, and lick at 1:18-1:25 like how he ends mp3

6. I'm Strickly Pent Up.mp3

like the use of doublestops throughout

some highlights
    listen to 0:30-1:03, 1:13-1:48

7. LosBolerosBlues.MP3

nice dominant 7th arpeggios,

like how he takes a theme, repeats it, variates it, and ends it with chordtones.

doublestops sound good as well,

some triplet rhythms

some highlights
    listen to all of mp3, 0:23-1:32, favorite part was the arpeggios, like how he ends mp3

8. MessyBlues.mp3
    starts out strong with a theme, I enjoyed this one just as it ended, sounding like he was really going somewhere
    open string pedaltone licks

really like some of his phrases

some highlights
    listen to 0:20-0:53, 1:02-1:42

9. Pent2Russ.mp3
    once again great two string bends, that have tasty dissonance

extreme overbends, doublestops as well,

some highlights
    listen to 0:24-01:42 really like how he ends mp3

10. Penta Improv.wma
    this is a great example of not having to play alot of notes to play a good solo
    may not have alot of experience but clever use of what he does know.

searching for notes but it works due to his ability to resolve to chordtones

some swing rhythm, and catchy rhythms while improvising

some highlights
    believe it or not I like alot of this mp3
    listen to 0:45-end

starts out strong and melodic throughout some real tasty parts, well done

11. pentajam-lo.mp3
    like the tremolo picking to get up to a different position

liked the legato type playing and what notes he chooses and ends on

enjoyed many of the bends he does.

some highlights
    listen to 0:12-0:30, 0:47-1:25

12. satch_blues.mp3

doublestops and twostring bends ends strong

some highlights
    listen to 0:17-0:27, 1:02-1:08 really like how he bends and finds chromatic notes during the bend, 01:18-01:27

13. shredblue.mp3

starts strong with a doublestop, legato playing with some wild tapping but at times tapping works quite well

knows how to resolve on chordtones

some highlights
    listen to tapping 0:27-0:35, 01:24-end

pinch harmonics

14. strictlypentalive.mp3

like some of the low riffs he plays, they swing, some doublestops

some highlights
    listen to 0:30-0:57, 1:26-1:53 this part really swings

15. bad_blues.mp3

develops a theme ends strongly

rhythmic

some highlights
    listen to 0:42-end

16. loveguitar_blues_wah.mp3

starts out strong, kinda hard to hear some notes because of the wah sound, creates theme and builds upon it.

some highlights
    listen to 1:19-1:50

17. 12 Bar Catposter nutbag in E again2.mp3

lots of bends

use of 6ths occasionally

some highlights
    listen to 0:36-1:14, 01:39-end ends strong
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

were you surprised by my preferences?

you may not agree, and some of the entries were almost in my preference list but for one reason or another didn't make it.
    (I really did try to give all the entries the benefit of any doubts. to be fair and objectionable)

so now it's Your turn, if you would like to participate:
    I'd like to hear what entries you liked, your preferences and why

my theory is some of my preferences will be your preferences, but I will let the results speak for themselves.
    (you of course don't have use the same guidelines for evaluating the entries but I think the criteria I presented helps musicians to be objective)

After all are listened to:
    importantly I would like to discuss with the IBreatheMusic.com community why certain entries are the preference of a large majority of our community and I would like us to analyze what is going on in the entries that are the basis for that conclusion

Most importantly, by talking and analyzing, I would like everyone to be able to learn something from the entries, and hopefully that information can be applied to future musicianship and your instrument.
    Have a great day!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    btw there are two files in the pent strickly thread that didn't use the backing track that I enjoyed listening to:

by The Bash on 01-26-2005, 04:08 AM
    Here's somthing a posted a year or so ago that's 90% Pen
    ok it don't exactly fit the rules but I fig as long as I'm listeing to your stuff
    I may as well post something

BTW Nice job first cool idea and second I here a lotta development in the playing between what i'm hearing some of you do now as opposed to what i had heard previously. I also hear a lot of people actually focusing of melody first and ripping second. As it should be.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums...ttachmentid=640

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by The Bash : 01-26-2005 at 04:20 AM.

by mattfnk on 04-13-2005, 11:22 AM
    sounds good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great takes everyone. Can't wait to post mine. I will this weekend when I have time. Till then, heres a one take solo I did last weekend for a scratch demo for my band. We are trying to get our levels right. Anyway, there's a solo at about 2:20. The first third is strictly minor pentonic, the second third is major pentaonic (borrowing notes from the major at the end) and the last third is the Penta/dorion/blues/bepop scale thingy we have debated about. I didnt plan the solo out, I just played it. We are rerecording the whole thing, let me know what you think. I will post a strictly pentatonic solo this weekend.

the song is stored here
    www.highwayten.com/justawaste.mov
    Last edited by Schooligo; 07-22-2005 at 08:59 AM.
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Very interesting. You seem to know what you're talking about. It's a little late now, but I have plans about a Strictly Pentatonic recording soon, and I might give all of the entries another listen, and maybe provide comments as well.

Wow!

Did you miss anyone out at all? I hope not, it seems you included 99% of the entries.

In a way though, everyones take always has something to take away from it. If it didn't they prolly wouldn't have posted it

A quick note on myself though.

Yes, I have been playing a while but really I wouldn't class myself as an experienced musician (more of a lounge wizard nowadays) or particularly knowledgeable theory wise (as I have proven in many a post trying to get my head round something and failing).

I think my takes are popular because I have a pretty good sense of phrasing and melodic lines BUT this is always tempered by my lack of LH/RH synch and general picking timing which I think, being very honest here, suck big time.

Take my faster MP3s like strictly neoclassic or strictly metal killa, On some of the shred licks I get so far behind with the timing the beat actually comes and catches up with me LOL, so in the end I end up back in time, which I use to my advantage.

Hey, I'm not trying to put myself down here and I'm glad people like my takes. I do a lot of listening to other players, I try to assimilate ideas, I try not to be too clinical and I try to create something that's nice to listen to with phrasing and melody, that's it really.

As for my favourite take:

Los Boleros Blues

I'm one of Rudy's biggest fans I think he always creates something different and in terms of manipulation of his instrument, improvising and theoretical knowledge, I learn a lot from his work.

Cheers, R.

As for my favourite take:

Los Boleros Blues.
    The controversial recording from hell.
    I'm one of Rudy's biggest fans I think he always creates something different and in terms of manipulation of his instrument, improvising and theoretical knowledge, I learn a lot from his work.
    Thank you!

quote by UKRuss,

it seems you included 99% of the entries
    it may seem that way but it is not true, not only did I leave some out but since I created this thread new entries to the strickly pentatonic thread have been added that I have yet to listen to.

those are just my preferences, I would like to hear what other musicians preferences are,

even though it's a subjective question it would be great to discuss and ideally learn from peoples preferences

and learn what everyone considers to be the most significant distinguishing characteristics per mp3 entry that musicians would like to use and emulate in their own playing
    Last edited by Schooligo; 07-27-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

's cool.

BTW UKRuss,

since this thread is about musician preferences

and you as well as I have commented on los boleros blues,

and you said you learn alot from his work,

what are the things you learned that you will apply to your musicianship that were inspired by los boleros blues, and if you could please give specific examples

ie. I really like the bend he does at 00:48, he is doing this going from the ii to the V chord and I really like the chromatic dissonance.

an example like that would be great when you get the time to listen to his entry

or whatever way you feel would be easiest to communicate what you like in the los boleros entry that you think we would understand and be able to apply and possibly discuss.

Thanks
    Last edited by Schooligo; 07-27-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

I'd have to specifically revisit that take to comment on it's particulars.

But as a general concept I like his use of diminished tones/arps to augment his playing.

I've listened through most of the Pentatonic Blues recordings lately, and I might get some time tonight for writing a few sentences about my favourites, and what makes them stand out.

If I'm lucky, and in the right mood, I may get to record a half-decent one myself.

Analysis

Allright, I didn't write a list of my favourites (1. 2. 3. 4. 5. etc.), but I wrote a few sentences about each recording of the Pentatonic blues takes. I think I listened to all of them. Many great takes, some better than others, but I found details I liked in every recording.

Here's my comments (I wrote 'on the fly' as I listened to the recordings):

- Tuckitblues: Professional sound, makes me think of Los Boleros blues. Great rhythm and great note choice. I like the clean tone as well. Extremely inspiring. If it wasn't 1:00am now, I'd try to record myself.

- bad blues: The notes sound very good, but maybe a little static. I'd like to hear more vibrato every now and then. Certainly not bad ideas going on in this recording.

- blue satch: Not the smoothest one, but it definately deserves to be mentioned due to the soul and intenseity. I really liked it, this is what blues is about, soulful playing.

- Russ-Pentatonic: Great flow from the introduction and on. Melodic and catchy. It sounds like the player knows exactly which note that is to be played next. I also like overall feel of the recording. There's no rush, I like the relaxing sound it provides.

- Los Boleros: Characteristc guitar sound. Another example of a player who obviously knows what to play. This participant also seems to focus more on note choice and perfect rhythm, rather than over playing - which is fantastic. Great ending. One of the favourites so far.

- loveguitar blues wah: My first impression was: "Is this too much wah?" - Then as the song went on I enjoyed it more and more. It may not sound as planned as for instance Los Boleros blues and Russ-Pentatonic, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. I liked the creativity and live-feel in this recording. Good ending in this one, too.

- 12 Bar Catposter Nutbag In E Again: Several noticeable bends that stand out. Rhythmic tendecies, as well, which I enjoyed a lot. Great overall atmosphere, and many great details, too many to mention all of them - there's more recordings to comment, after all.

- mattblack- E Bar Gum Laddie: Minimalistic playing in the beginning. Works good. Upbeat feel. I noticed a flow in this one too, which I also noticed in Los Boleros blues and Russ-Pentatonic. One of the best things about this recording might be the turnarounds.

- MattBlack-I'm Strictly Pent-Up: Dirty beginning. Heavier than the previous one. I actually prefer the beginning of this one over the beginning of the previous recording. More "hard rock" feel than blues, but that alone doesn't need to mean it's better, however, I liked the spirit of this one. Very alive. While the prevous one may be more relaxing this one was more entertaining.

- MoonchildBlues: Classic blues feel in the beginning. I like the phrasing which appears further in the song. Around 1:20 it gets more intensive, I like it. Good ending.

- Pent2Russ: Mystical tone. Seems to work. Crazy playing around 00:30, really spiced up the song. Great things going on in the turnarounds also in this one. Hard to tell which is best, this one, or the prevous one by the same participant. Fantasatic bending around 1:40, fast playing around 1:50 - nice! I think I prefer this one over Russ-Pentatonic. Simple, but fantastic ending, good atmosphere.

- Pentatonic Jam: I think I heard a couple of off-key notes, especially in the beginning, but I like the spirit of the recording nevertheless. Fast playing around 1:10, which I noticed and enjoyed. This seems to get better and better as the song moves on. Wild playing around 1:40, among the better parts.

- Eric V. Metalheard-Blues: Soulful beginning. One of the heavier recordings. I don't hear the classic blues atmosphere in this one, however, I bet the participant is aware of that. The participant seems to be one of the more technical ones, satisfying to the ear. Many details throughout, fast playing, intense bends. I like the ending. Among the favourites, even though it had a different feel than most of the other recordings.

- steve-pentajam-lo: Flawless playing. Each and every note sound good. Good ears, I presume. I like the rhythm of this one too, and there's a couple of fast parts.

- strictlypenta-live: Original beginning.Semi-fast playing around, 00:30, I'm not sure if I liked it. However, I like the contrast between the high pitched and low pitched notes in this recording.

After listening to all of these recordings, I should be able to create a decent one myself. A lot of inspiration, at least. I'm about to get enough motivation too. I will, after all, give it a try in near future. Whether it qualifies for upload, is another story. Anyway, I enjoyed listening to the takes from everyone!

Hi Apple-Joe!!

Thanks for making the effort to analyze and discuss your preferences,

I'm real excited now to listen to your preferences and try to hear or feel the emotion that you mentrioned several times in your analysis.

I have noticed that as you describe your preferences that feel, intensity, and soul are very important to you

that is something I am going to try to be more aware of when playing as well as listening.

I plan on listening to your prefences to see if I can hear and determine if the things in the entry you like are attractive to me, and ideally the parts I do like I can be inspired and emulate their phrasing, note choice, emotion, flow, etc.

Since you have given me some things to think about and analyze I likely will be back with questions, but once again thanks for your effort and for participating!

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schooligo
    Hi Apple-Joe!!

Thanks for making the effort to analyze and discuss your preferences,

I'm real excited now to listen to your preferences and try to hear or feel the emotion that you mentrioned several times in your analysis.

I have noticed that as you describe your preferences that feel, intensity, and soul are very important to you

that is something I am going to try to be more aware of when playing as well as listening.

I plan on listening to your prefences to see if I can hear and determine if the things in the entry you like are attractive to me, and ideally the parts I do like I can be inspired and emulate their phrasing, note choice, emotion, flow, etc.

Since you have given me some things to think about and analyze I likely will be back with questions, but once again thanks for your effort and for participating!
    Sounds interesting. If we're lucky maybe there are a couple of others too, who might get some time available for listening through most of the entries. It definately is interesting to see which parts that attract certain people.

Yes, I do like soul and intensity in the playing. That does not neccessarily equal fast playing, if you ask me. When I think of soul, I think of distinct vibrato's (not just playing the note and let it ring), I think of bends performed in a certain way. Sometimes you just hear it, it all comes down to the attitude of the player, I think. It should sound like he really means it, when playing. Focused. I have a feeling you know where I'm heading. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your next post.

Hi,

I listened to Tuckit blues, per your recommendation I agree I like all of this mp3 I like the doublestops with theme and variation, and the phrasing and rhythmic playing especially 0:28-0:52 I like how he plays sometimes in lower "registers of the guitar" and sometimes in higher "registers".
    I also like how he will end on like an E note when doing the doublestops then the next time he will do the doublestops and also end on an E note but this time it's an E note one octave higher. Very catchy strategy.

so you understand what I'm describing here is a powertab of the part I made while listening,

hope the powertab is of some use to musicians who like what tucker97325 did in tuckit blues and would like to know how to play that part and apply that part to their own music!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dedicated To Guitar!!!