Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Dixie Dregs Live at MJF DVD

Dixie Dregs Live at MJF DVD

Hey guys,
    just wanted to share this, as I think quite a few here will be interested.
    I just received the new Dixie Dregs DVD "Live At The Montreux Jazz Festival" this morning, and I just finished watching it. ( for tracklist and more info, check out this link: http://www.sanity.com.au/partner/dee...ArtistID=31059 )

I gotta say, this is pretty much a dream come true for all fans of Morse, the Dregs and 70s fusion. I have been listening to the "Night Of The Living Dregs" album ( the one that guys like Petrucci mention as a very influential album, and it also has the legendary "The Bash" on it ) for years, and of course I always imagined how that gig was for them ( live at the Montreux Jazz Festival 1978 ).
    And now... I actually SAW it. It was quite different than what I had imagined ( I donīt seem to be the only one who thought it was an outdoor-show... it was not )
    Itīs just AMAZING to see this legendary show. You get to see a lot of close-ups of Steve at work, playing those very songs of the NOTLD-album.
    The audio- and video-quality is decent, there were several cameras at work, and so itīs pretty magical for me as a Morse- and Dregs-fanatic to watch this.
    The line up was Morse, Andy West, Mark Parrish ( keys ), Rod Morgenstein and Allen Sloane. Steve was still playing his "Frankentele" ( that old heavily modded Tele with the Strat neck, 4 pickups etc. ), and to see video footage of him playing it up close is almost ( if not exactly ) as cool as i.e. being able to see video footage of Eddie Van Halen recording the VH-debut. ( Do I sound like a fan or what ?!? )
    You also get to hear and see the rest of the performance ( NOTLD only has 4 songs from that show ), including a live version of "Kathreen". That was an early Dregs-song which was released on "The Great Spectacular" ( a collection of demos the Dregs did while they were still students at UoM ). Just like on the "album version", the last third of this song consists of Steve jamming some hot country licks on his Tele along to a drumbeat by Rod.

Extras included are two songs performed at American Bandstand after the release of "Industry STandard" ( 1982ish ), with Marc OīConnor on violin and guitar, and Alex Ligertwood on vocals on one song ( I believe that performance was a playback one, but itīs still cool ). In between the 2 songs, thereīs a short, kinda amusing interview with the band ( done by Dick Clark ! )
    And a live performance of "Punk Sandwich" from Don Kirshnerīs rock show

So... this one certainly is a dream come true for all you Morse- and Dregs-fans, and if you like 70s prog / fusion, check it out.
    Eric

Guitar Builder / Player DoeringerDGM's Avatar
    Always been a fan. Last year I got to see the Dregs open for Dream Theater, great show, can't say who I liked better.
    Hidden Content

Art - Tone - Playability

I got to see the Dream Theater tour where they did Scenes from a Memory with the Dregs opening what a great concert!!!

This was not my first concert with Steve Morse, since I am a fan of the Steve Morse band, his solo projects, had heard some albums by the Dixie Dregs, and have even met Steve a number of times he is a great musician and a great person.

I met alot of musicians that night who had a little bit of knowledge about Steve, and mostly that was because John Petrucci has such a great amount of respect for Steve and lists him as an influence

They were there to see Dream Theater and those guys are truely great, I think Scenes from a Memory is a modern day masterpiece.

but so many musicians that I met that night were beyond blown away with the taste, virtuosity, and command of the instrument Steve Morse demonstrates.

As I said it was a great show!!!
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Schooligo,
    was this in NYC ? That was one of the few east coast shows of that DT / Dregs tour I didnt go to. If you went to the ones in New Haven or Baltimore or Philly, we were at the same show =)
    What a great billing, and I agree about SFAM
    Eric

Wow!

to have the opportunity to see Dream Theater SFAM, the Dixie Dregs and meet Eric V that would be the ultimate show

unfortunately unless you went to shows on the west coast we didn't get the opportunity to meet,

but I hope someday I can meet you as well as many others of the IBreathemusic.com community

I look forward to that!!!
    "Success is arriving at a Personal Satisfaction within yourself"

Dedicated To Guitar!!!

Me too, that would indeed be nice. I didnt attend any of the west coast shows, yet a bunch of friends of mine did go to the one in LA ( I think this was the first one, the one that was closed down by the fire department ), and they called me up from outside the venue to say "HELLO" ( imagine a few guys yelling that into a phone )
    Too bad I wasnīt able to make it to LA back then
    Anyway, hopefully weīll get more "ibreathe member meetings".
    So far I met Guni, Thorsten ( actually, we were friends before he became an ibreathe member ), MatthiasB ( student of mine ), CaptainCarma, UK Russ, Ricky G., Jem77 ( I think that was his username, he used to be around a few times and I met him at the first german Jemfest, he asked some questions during my workshop ) and some others... a special moment every time
    Eric