Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Question on Circle Of Fifths

Question on Circle Of Fifths

I recently have just started learning music theroy and found a site which actually works. I had been searching for one that had all of it planned out for free that I could understand, and I finally found one, and everything has been going smooth.

Anyways, once I finished the Circle Of Fifths article, right at the very end there is this comment made:
    A good way to practice modulation, utilizing the "circle", is to pick a position on the guitar neck and "run the scales" through the circle. Without moving up or down the fingerboard more than one fret, you should be able to pick out each successive sharp or flat key and play that Major scale.

If you are soloing over a chord progression that suddenly shifts to a new key, the ability to quickly change to the appropriate scale is a must. You won't always have the luxury of shifting your hand position in order to change to a new scale.

I get what he is saying here, but when it says "run the scales" through the circle, I am lost. Im sure somebody knows what he means by this and for some reason I can't figure out a single bit of what he means. If someone could explain for me it would be very very appreciated. Thank you.

Well, I think he must be saying pick a point at random on the fretboard play the major scale from that note, then keep playing round the cycle of fifths to complete all scales that follow.

You're prolly using the classic work round from Cmajor, CGDAE etc.

But you should be able to work the cycle from wherever you start..thats good practice is what he's saying.

I'm really sorry. I feel like I just started this for nothing. I went and sat down for a little while and came back and now I totally understand what it means. Thanks for the help though UKRuss, your advice helped me alot. Anyways, sorry that I practically started this for nothing. lol. Rock on.

Cool. Loads of breakthroughs happening on IBM today!

it should be noted that the Cycle of fifths and the cycle of fourths, are the same cycle, but going in opposite directions. Going up a fifth is the same as going down a forth, and visa versa.

noted.

shred beginner
    can you please give me the address?
    I need to work on theory too