Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Recommend funk guitar book

Recommend funk guitar book

Hi... can anyone out there recommend me some good funk guitar instructional books ? Thanx... Errr... any good funk albums ? preferably instrumental funk...

I sleep with my guitar TaikaJim's Avatar
    Good funk artist : George Clinton , Funkadelic, Parliament, Tower of Power, The Meters (not really funk i guess but funky) etc.
    Those artists arent instrumental though. Why do you want instrumental?

As for funk books... i have no idea. I really havent seen any.
    Guni wrote a good article about rhythym which is obviously
    the most important thing in funk.
    Guni´s article
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TaikaJim; 05-26-2002 at 04:27 PM.
    "Im just gonna see what this guitar playing thing gets me. If i get Arthritis and a horrible tinnitus.... thats fine by me." -me

"Screaming Headless Torsos" is another band you might wanna check out... or how about TM Stevens debut-album, which is rather funk-metal...
    Warm regards
    Eric

NP: Matalex- Jazz Grunge live 1996

Hi guys,

Yeah, you already have a very good list together.

I'd like to mention Nile Rogers. I learned a lot from what he did with Chic. The tune 'Le Freak' features some incredible guitar work.

Oh yeah, and Marceo Parker - I suggest the record 'Life on Planet Groove' (with Candy Dulfer)

I don't know of any good funk books - I guess listening to and learning from the masters is the best approach here.

Tomo Fujita, teacher at Berklee has some videos out but I never had a look at them. I heard that they are very good. http://www.tomofujita.com

Here's a link to an article by Tomo he wrote for Guitar4u. I still need to edit this article for iBreatheMusic but maybe it is helpful to you right now.
    Let's Play Funk Guitar (PDF file)

Later,

Guni

I did some searching and found these books covering funk guitar:

Funk Guitar - Ross Bolton MI

Funk Rhythm

Fast Forward Funk
    "Im just gonna see what this guitar playing thing gets me. If i get Arthritis and a horrible tinnitus.... thats fine by me." -me

Originally posted by TaikaJim
    Good funk artist : George Clinton , Funkadelic, Parliament, Tower of Power, The Meters (not really funk i guess but funky) etc.
    Those artists arent instrumental though. Why do you want instrumental?

As for funk books... i have no idea. I really havent seen any.
    Guni wrote a good article about rhythym which is obviously
    the most important thing in funk.
    Guni´s article
    Hope this helps.
    I want instrumental becos I want to clearly listen to their rhythm playing... their beat... their syncopated chops... I thought I can get something out from there...
    I always thought funk playing was difficult...

Originally posted by Guni
    Hi guys,

Yeah, you already have a very good list together.

I'd like to mention Nile Rogers. I learned a lot from what he did with Chic. The tune 'Le Freak' features some incredible guitar work.

Oh yeah, and Marceo Parker - I suggest the record 'Life on Planet Groove' (with Candy Dulfer)

I don't know of any good funk books - I guess listening to and learning from the masters is the best approach here.

Tomo Fujita, teacher at Berklee has some videos out but I never had a look at them. I heard that they are very good. http://www.tomofujita.com

Here's a link to an article by Tomo he wrote for Guitar4u. I still need to edit this article for iBreatheMusic but maybe it is helpful to you right now.
    Let's Play Funk Guitar (PDF file)

Later,

Guni
    Agreed... Nile Rogers's simply awesome.... Le Freak is amazing... Thanx for the article...

Hey guys... thanx for the bands and books recommendations...

I just listened Tomo Fujitas mp3s @ mp3.com.... all i can say is WOAH!!!!
    Monster grooves, very inspiring for me.