Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Essential Ear training???

Essential Ear training???

Helllo!!!

I got this book ( Essential Ear Training by Steve Prosser ) a month ago...and i still havent used it....because i dont understand a thing of lesson one....can anybody please tell me what to do in the "lesson one--Conducting patterns" because i really wanna get a good ear now
    Please??
    MG

Re: Essential Ear training???

Originally posted by JEM555
    Helllo!!!

I got this book ( Essential Ear Training by Steve Prosser ) a month ago...and i still havent used it....because i dont understand a thing of lesson one....can anybody please tell me what to do in the "lesson one--Conducting patterns" because i really wanna get a good ear now
    Please??
    MG
    Ok I got the same book as well, I'll try and c if I can hep ya.

You are suppose to memorize the conducting patterns. If you take a look at fig. 1.2 you are to sing it and use the 4/4 conducting pattern to help you keep time. It will be easier to learn the patterns first. Than learn the solfege, making sure that you are singing in pitch b4 trying to conduct and sing at the same time. Btw it will be easier if you have a metronome that way you will know if you are in time or not.

If you take a look at the next few pages, they teach u the eighth-note subdivison and subdivding 16th notes, I dun use those, I usually use the 4/4 conducting patterns only.

Anyway I still remember my first day in my Ear Training class, here's how it roughly went, I learned the conducting patterns and than the teacher gave us the Do and told us to start singing.

I juz went what? sing? Majority of the people seems to know what they are doing. They knew which notes are Do, Mi, so on and so forth.

And I'm like struggling to read the notes, trying to figure out which note is which. I realize alot of times its the guitarist who hate ear training the most, most of us can't sight read, much less sing it and in solfege as well.

Close to the end of the class the teacher was pointing out and asking us to sing individually, thank god he did not choose me cuz at that point of time I won't know what I'm doing. I didn't even know that if we are in the key of C C would be Do. And I did not know what's a movable Do.

Howz the first day of your ET in Berklee Guni? Was it as scary as mine?What about you, Eric did you take somesort of ET in MI?

-Beast