Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweep patterns for maj7, m7, 7, m9, etc

Question Sweep patterns for maj7, m7, 7, m9, etc

Hi there...

This is my very first post...

I'm familiar with the common triad sweeps and the inversions, and now I wanna move further to explore sweeping arpeggios with more tones. I've tried to construct some sweep patterns for a maj7, m7, 7 etc. arpeggio + inv, but I find 'em awkward to play. I don't like Frank Gambale's way of sweeping arpeggios. Have any of you some good, smooth patterns of maj7, m7, 7, m7b5, 7#5, 9, m9, maj9...etcetcetc...?

Eventually I wanna excuse for my embaressingly bad english.

Asbjoern.
    Last edited by Asse; 02-14-2003 at 08:51 AM.

Hmmm... a few ones I can spontaneously think of...

This one a student of mine played once, he said he got it from George Bellas. Based on an Eadd9...

Here is a cool little add9-lick I saw in a column by Mike Campese:

And of course, there was some cool stuff in "Shred Talk", my conversation with Thorsten Koehne. He played a cool little etude, based on m11 and add9-chords... here are the first two ones:

Check out the last page of "Shred Talk" for a complete TAB of the etude, plus a soundfile of Thorsten playing it... click HERE and scroll down...

Oh, and before I forget it, in one of the Pulse-Newsletters I posted a shred-lick... sweeped sus2-triads... click HERE to see that issue of Pulse

Hope this helps
    Eric

Here are a few jazzy sweep stlye arpeggio's I use. The first is a 3 octave Cmaj 7 sweep. It's a moveable pattern & works over power chords aswell. The following 2 are minor 7th sweeps, then a couple of major 7th sweep stlye arpeggio's. To end it off I threw in a minor 7 flat 5 arp & a diminished tapping arpeeggio. I hope these help. I attached a power tab file because I couldn't post the images like Eric did.

Danny K
    Alien Water Dance Demos
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have some rather unorthodox sweeping techniques illustrated at my website.

here's one for now:

I reworked a Chopin Etude for sweeping
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.marshallharrison.com

Marshall, is that really you ?
    Hey man, if it is, welcome at ibreathe !!!
    Awesome to have ya here !!!

Eric

yes it's me, Marshall H.

greetings all, I look forward to sharing whatever info I have on guitar playing.
    www.marshallharrison.com

Great, welcome then =)
    I really enjoy listening to the soundfiles on your site and watching the vids.
    Warm regards
    Eric

Hey Marshall,

I went to your website... you're amazing. I read your biography and you said you ordered about every rock/fusion guitar video. Which one was the best do you think?

Also how was studying with Brett Garsed?

Snufeldin

Here are some of the best videos I've seen:

Best Technique (Legato) video: Brett Garsed "Rock Fusion"

Best Technique (sweeping) video: F. Gambale "Monster Licks and Sweeping"

Best theory video (jazz/fusion improv): Scott Henderson Jazz/Fusion improvisation

Best Original Technique video: Carl Verheyen's REH video
    www.marshallharrison.com

I'm just looking for the easiest way to execute ie. a m7 arppeggio with sweep picking. I've experienced that when you're onstage and try to execute some very technical stuff you practiced for hours, you'll often fail. Always chose the easiest form.

I've worked some easy forms out myself, I think they're very similar to Neal Nagaokas stuff (think that's his name). I don't know about the inversions yet, I'll post what I've got so far later this week.

I'm not after playing everything sweep picked, as Frank Gambale do (or did?). I feel that your playing then suffers from being very synthetic, just my opinion. The technique is superior when you wanna play arps at speed.

Marshall H...

How fast can you play the posted Chopin etude, and could you perhaps post your finger setting for the first bar?

I think it's even more insane than Gambale...

Sorry about the CHopin variation.

The Notation is wrong; the whole thing should be shifted to the right 1 sixteenth note. This will make the highest note of each arpeggio run fall on the 1 of each measure and not the uh of beat 4 of each measure. Makes way more sense and sounds better.

As for fingerings, here's what I do:

starting from the beginning:

(1 2 4 3 1 2) (1 2 4 3 1 2) (1 2 4 3

1 3 1 2) ( 3 1 4 3 1 2) (3 1 4 3 1 next measure

same thing pretty much for the rest of the measures. BTW, the parentheses indicate notes all in the same Position. In other words, when you move to the next set of parentheses, your whole hand should move the next octave up (or down).
    www.marshallharrison.com

Here's a cool G major arp sweep:

Here's a sweeping idea for a 6 or 7 string. It's all C major arps; but something else is going on. each time you ascend you approach a different chord tone from a half-step below. For example, the initial ascending approaches the third E from a half step below in each octave on the way up. then it goes down a regular C major arp 1 note per string. THen it ascends approaching the 5th of C major chord, G from a 1/2 step below; it then descends C major etc...The last time up the root is approached from a 1/2 step below producing a Cmaj7 arp. These Chromatic passing tones don't affect the underlying harmony, so you could use this lick over a regular C maj chord. It would end up sounding kinda jazzy/bluesy.

This lick is also interesting because it combines (1-3) sweeping with regular old 1 note per string sweeping.

START MESSING AROUND WITH THE CHORD TONES!
    www.marshallharrison.com

What about the weird arrangement of the frets on your 8 String? Is it that the low strings give a better sound if they are longer?

c ya
    Mattie