Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Hi! Rhythm notation question

Hi! Rhythm notation question

Hi all. I'm SlowToby, and this is my first post. I found this site because I have a problem that's been driving me crazy. I hope someone here can help...

I want to transition smoothly from a 3/4 song to a 4/4 song, and I know it's possible, I just don't know how to notate it...

The 3/4 song is at the same pace as the 4/4 song, IF two 3/4 measures are combined, then the triplet feel of the resulting measure is modified to a duplet feel. Another way to put it is that two measures of the 3/4 song equal the same time duration as one measure of the 4/4 song. Essentially, the 4/4 song could be rewritten as 6/4, with each beat as a dotted quarter, and it would be all good... except that I don't want to rewrite the whole song! (edited to add that this wouldn't be "right" from a traditional notation standpoint anyway...)

thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

ST
    Last edited by SlowToby; 12-16-2005 at 08:10 PM.

It sounds like your 3/4 is actually a 6/8.

3/4 is still a duple meter, but with 3 beats in a measure. Going from 3/4 to 4/4 just involves adding one additional beat to the bar.

6/8 is a triple meter, and is more accurately what you're doing. I understand the sort of transition you're going for; it's a common and effective switch. To notate that change, over the barline between the 6/8 and 4/4 bars, place a note that says "dotted quarter = quarter," except using the visual symbols for dotted quarter and quarter, rather than the words. This will indicate that the pulse of the 6/8 bar (the dotted quarter) will remain at the same tempo, but will now constitute a quarter note in 4/4 time.

OK, I think I get it...

But wouldn't the notation be "dotted quarter = half", because I actually want two quarter notes for each of the two 6/8 beats. For example I want to go from saying "one-and-uh, two-and-uh" (6/8) to "one, two" (2/2) to "one, two, three, four" (4/4)... with each of the quoted segments taking the same amount of time...

And do I have to say "quarter = eighth" in the transition between the 3/4 and the 6/8? Or should I go to 6/4 instead?

Whew!

Well, I still don't see anything that would use 3/4.

It's either going to be 6/4 -> 4/4 (dotted quarter = quarter) or 6/8 -> 4/4 (dotted eighth = quarter -- i misspoke earlier, this is what i should've said for the transition in my first post).

For the sort of 'in between' part where the 6/4 or 6/8 begins to be felt as duple, you don't really need to change the meter for that. In 6/4 you can just start notating dotted quarters and the pulse will be clear just by playing the music. In fact, it will probably be easier to read/play with fewer meter changes when possible.

Thanks!

I appreciate your help, Poparad. That should do it...

I'm thinking it's 4/4 all the way.

1-tri-plet 2-tri-plet 3 4
    1 2 3 4

1-tri-plet 2-tri-plet 3 4
    1 2 3 4

Yay? Nay?

(Those triplets can be eight note triplets in which 1-tri-plet=1 beat or quarter note in which 1-tri-plet=2 beats [all in 4/4] - or 16th, 32nd, 9tuplets, 5tuplets, 11tuplets, 13tuplets, etc.)

The difference between meter & timing can be really confusing sometimes, but I think that every song can be written in a singular time signature. One could dismantle 4 beats beyond the limits of ones imagination. Every musician should learn how to play the drums - at least a little bit.

The problem is...

I'm not writing one song... I'm taking two songs and transitioning from one to the next. The original (copyrighted) song is written in 3/4, while the 2nd song is written in 4/4... and my goal is to notate the transition without rewriting either song from scratch.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

D.

Ok - I'm with you. So what did you end up doing? Add a beat to the last meas of the 3/4 song making it 4/4? Or make the last meas of the 3/4 song a 7/8 and the first meas of the 4/4 song a 9/8? No, wait...that wouldn't be very smooth.

I did what Poparad suggested above...

I took a chord vamp in 3/4 and changed it to 6/4 with a duple feel (ONE-two-three-FOUR-five-six).

Then, over the course of a few measures, changed the duple feel to a "quadruple" feel... essentially, splitting each set of three beats in half... and I end up with beats that are each a dotted quarter long. (As an aside, this is a chance to really get jazzy, or even to give your drummer a solo.)

That gives me four beats to the measure, and then I just change the dotted quarter to a quarter note, by notating "dotted quarter = quarter" (except that I use the symbols rather than the words).

Presto-change-o... from 3/4 to 4/4, with the 4/4 length equal to exactly two measures of the 3/4.