Welcome!
Just a few a ground rules first...

Promotion, advertising and link building is not permitted.

If you are keen to learn, get to grips with something with the willing help of one of the net's original musician forums
or possess a genuine willingness to contribute knowledge - you've come to the right place!

Register >

- Close -

Thread: Flightcase

Hybrid View

Flightcase

This might seem like a stupid question, but here goes....

I work away from home all week and have been bringing my guitar with me for the last couple of months. I transport the guitar in a flight case which i check in with my other bagage at the airport. Last week when i got to my digs i found (asumed) that the case had been dropped (i've seen the way they handle fragile luggage at airports), for all the springs had came out of the trem. I then spent 2-3days setting it up again.

My question is (finally ), does anyone have any suggestions for padding/ packaging the guitar so that it won't get damaged during the flight?

my case is reasonable quality and a good fit for my guitar. Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated, as i don't want to have to set it up every week and i don't want to leave it at home.

thanx.

No chance of taking the guitar with you into the plane?

That's what I always do. Then I place her (erm, yes my guitar is female ) on top of all the other stuff in the overhead locker.

Guni

NP: Coco Montoya - 'Gotta Mind to Travel'

I have thought about taking it onto the plane with me but the case and guitar weigh more than they allow for hand luggage (5KG), but i suppose i could always argue the point that the guitar was damaged before.......

With a good softbag weight shouldn't be a problem and making your standpoint clear that this guitar costs $10.000 will work in most cases I'm sure.

Guni

Hey there...

I think we discussed this before at one of the forums.
    Some guitars are too long to fit into the overhead bin in some of the planes ( thatīs one of the reasons why Morse likes his signature model so much... itīs shorter because of the small headstock ).

What ALWAYS worked for me was: I put the guitar into a gigbag, brought it onto the plane and nicely asked the steward/ess to put it into the wardrobe locker... it definitely fits into those, and itīs safe in there... also, there usually is enough room in there, so itīs not a problem. ( It usually is located right next to the entrance doors of a plane, between cockpit and first class or first and second class )
    Worked like that whenever I travelled with a major airline.

The whole hardcase-stuff still is risky. Some guitars were damaged even in such a hardcase when they were in the luggage-storeroom of a plane.
    Also, thereīs no air-condition / heating in there, and the temperatures in those luggage rooms can get extremely low, which ainīt too good for the guitar, especially if your destination airport is in some warmer country or state... ( i.e. the South )

Vivian Campbellīs original 1959 Les Paul was completely destroyed when he had it transported in the luggage room of a plane. Sure, the insurance paid for it, but how can ya replace a guitar like that.
    And a friend of mine recently wanted to send a guitar with some carrier like UPS or FedEx ( donīt remember which one ) and he asked the people on the phone whether the guitar would be safe. They said "Well, it has to be packed in a way where it can stand falling 5 feet". And my friend was like "Whyīs that ?!?"
    And they said "In some transfer places, there are places where it MIGHT fall 5 feet... those places are constructed in a way where that is unevitable" ( I am not kidding, they actually said something like that )

So anyway, Iīd go for the "guitar in gigbag in wardrobe locker" solution
    Eric

NP: Birth Of The Cool- Miles Davis